Do you love to read?

Friday, July 24, 2009

Day One - A new day for Dolls in Paradise


Knowing where to start is always the hardest thing. I cannot possibly start at the beginning. I learned to love dolls before I could talk, walk, or read.



I have been reading and studying about dolls since I was young. At that time, it was almost impossible to find many books on dolls. Most doll books back then were "how-to" books on making cloth dolls - then called "Rag Dolls".

I did make some rag dolls - one very special doll was for my son, Joshua, when he was tiny. My dear (long departed) Linda knotted the yarns for the great Afro hair. The doll was made to allow Joshua to learn how to button, zip, snap, tie and buckle. Although all of the clothing opened by these various mechanisms, none of the clothing came off the doll. It was a perfect set up for a child to learn these skills. I think I may redesign that doll some day. It would be a joy for me. This doll of my design came before Dressy Bessy - in fact, it came from the love of a mother for her son.

And here is a picture of the "little tyke" for whom the doll was lovingly made.

No comments:

Post a Comment